5 Foods That Fight Bloat
- Papaya - There’s some research that says the enzyme in papaya may aid digestion.
- Oatmeal - According to Harlan, in a recent meta-analysis of a number of studies related to digestion, researchers found that oat bran can be particularly beneficial.
- Yogurt - The key is to make sure you’re choosing a yogurt that has “active cultures,” which will increase the number of “good” bacteria in your gut, helping you digest more efficiently and preventing that belly from blowing up. Harlan says to look for organic plain yogurt (which is very likely to contain the active cultures), and to steer clear of anything with “fruit on the bottom.”
- Asparagus - There’s some really interesting new data aboutasparagus that indicates that it has some probiotic benefits,” says Harlan. So it may ease the build-up of gas and, because of its diuretic properties, also flush waste and excess water from your body.
- Quinoa - The potassium in quinoa has been shown to beat bloat — plus, this South American grain is a great source of the minerals magnesium, phosphorous and especially manganese. It packs both fiber (2.6 grams per 1/2 cup) and protein, a stellar nutrient combo that can keep you satisfied for hours.
- Self Magazine!